About New Pharmacy Prescriptions & Your Options
The TRICARE Pharmacy Program provides prescription drug coverage for all TRICARE beneficiaries. There are several options for filling your prescriptions. They include military pharmacies, TRICARE Pharmacy Home Delivery, TRICARE retail network pharmacies, and non-network pharmacies. A nominal copay may apply.
New Prescriptions from Madigan Providers
If your provider is located at Madigan (virtual visit or in-person visit), contact our Pharmacy Call Center at 253-968-2586 to inquire if your medication is ready for pick-up.
New Prescriptions from Madigan Providers
Paper prescriptions written by network providers (non-Madigan providers), must now be dropped off at the Pharmacy Drive-Thru to be filled there. These medications will be ready the next business day.
Additional Options for Paper Prescriptions Written By Network (Non-Madigan) Providers:
Go to any retail pharmacy of your choice (except CVS pharmacies). A nominal copay may apply. Visit this website to determine if a copay exists for your medication: https://www.express-scripts.com/static/formularySearch/2.9.5/#/formularySearch/drugSearch
You can fill any chronic (long-term) medication at a retail pharmacy up to TWO TIMES, then you will be asked to pay the full prescription price. See this link for full cost prescription pricing: https://militaryrx.express-scripts.com/price-medication .
If your medication is not covered by TRICARE, speak with your provider about an alternative medication that may also work for you.
Information for Active Duty Service Members:
- Active Duty Service Members can receive prescriptions at the Madigan Pharmacy Drive-Thru.
- Any acute prescription (usually a one-time fill, such as an antibiotic for pneumonia) can be filled at any Retail Pharmacy (excluding CVS pharmacies). There is zero charge for active duty for most common medications. A nominal copay will be requested for all other beneficiaries.
- Any chronic prescription (e.g. long-term blood pressure medication, allergy medications, etc.) can only be filled TWO TIMES for zero copay at a retail pharmacy. After those TWO TIMES, you will be asked to pay the full prescription price. The ideal situation is to fill ONE fill in the retail pharmacy, and simultaneously ask your provider to send your chronic prescription to the Express Scripts Mail Order Pharmacy. Visit https://militaryrx.express-scripts.com/home-delivery for more information. Your chronic prescriptions will be mailed to you at zero cost to you. You can visit the link above to register yourself in the Home Delivery System or download the mobile app by searching “EXPRESS SCRIPTS” in your APP STORE.
- Active Duty Service Members can visit the Express Scripts Mail Order Pharmacy site at any time at https://militaryrx.express-scripts.com/home-delivery to request a transfer of your medication FROM the Madigan Main Pharmacy TO Express Scripts for zero charge Home Delivery. To start the process, call the Madigan Pharmacy Call Center and Transfer Prescription Line at 253-968-2586. Ask our staff to TRANSFER your active prescriptions to Express Scripts Home Delivery.
- Please Be Aware: In accordance with TRICARE Express Scripts policy, we cannot transfer CONTROLLED substances prescriptions --these require a hard copy/paper prescription from the provider.
- Your clinic team/provider will provide you with current instructions for any new, acute (one-time) prescription medication that requires you to start on the day of your visit.
All Other Beneficiaries Seen at Madigan (Family members & Retirees)
If you have an appointment in a clinic at Madigan, you can ask your clinic team/provider to electronically prescribe your acute (one-time) or chronic (long-term) prescription to:
- Retail Pharmacy of your choice (excluding CVS pharmacies). A nominal copay may apply. Visit this website to determine if a copay exists for your medication. https://www.express-scripts.com/static/formularySearch/2.9.5/#/formularySearch/drugSearch
- You can fill any acute (one-time) medication at a retail pharmacy; a nominal copay will apply.
- You can fill any chronic (long-term) medication at a retail pharmacy up to TWO TIMES, then you will be asked to pay the full prescription price. A nominal copay will apply. See this link for full cost prescription pricing, https://militaryrx.express-scripts.com/price-medication .
- If your medication is not covered by TRICARE, speak with your provider about an alternative medication that may also work for you.
- You can ask your clinic team/provider to electronically prescribe any chronic (ongoing/long-term medication) to any retail pharmacy as above.
- You can ask your clinic team/provider to write a hard copy/paper prescription for you to take to a retail pharmacy of your choice. Nominal copay charges will apply as above.
- You can pick up your chronic, prescribed medication in Madigan’s Outpatient Pharmacy Drive-Thru the next business day following your Madigan clinic visit.
- Your clinic team/provider will give you current instructions for any new, acute (one-time) prescription medication that requires you to start on the day of your visit.
How to Transfer Prescriptions to a Retail Pharmacy
If you have ongoing/long-term, chronic medication prescriptions currently being filled at the Madigan Main Outpatient Pharmacy, see your options below to fill your prescriptions:
Madigan’s patients can also transfer chronic (long-term) prescriptions to mail order for home delivery. With the convenience and ease of the TRICARE Home Delivery Pharmacy Program, you can spend less time waiting at the pharmacy and more time with family and friends.