Health Services


Environmental Compliance

Our environmental compliance program at Madigan Army Medical Center manages the correct identification, collection, storage, disposal, and documentation of generated waste for the purpose of protecting human health and the environment.  Environmental Health Service provides oversight, consultative support, education/training, and assessments for waste management in the medical treatment facility and outlying clinics.  

Frequently Asked Questions:


What is Regulated Medical Waste (RMW)?
Regulated medical waste is waste generated in the diagnosis, treatment, or immunization of human beings or animals which is capable of causing disease or which, if not handled properly, poses a risk to individuals or a community.  Examples of regulated medical waste are:  cultures; stocks; vaccines; pathological waste; articles caked, saturated or dripping with blood; needles; vials; test tubes; pipettes; and animal waste. 
What is the difference between general waste and Regulated Medical Waste 
General waste (uncontaminated paper, debris, pizza boxes, and plastic wrapping, etc.) costs $0.08 per pound whereas Regulated Medical Waste costs $0.56 per pound for disposal.  Correctly segregating general waste and regulated medical waste saves taxpayer money.
How can I safely dispose of my residential sharps?
Refer to the resources below to safely dispose of residential sharps such as insulin needles.  If you are unable to transport your sharps to a disposal location, you may place containers that are marked, closed, and sealed in your regular trash can.  DO NOT bring your SHARPS back to the hospital or clinics. 

FDA Safely Using Sharps, Needles, and Syringes

TPCHD Infectious Waste
Where can I safely dispose of my unwanted or expired medications?
Free medication disposal drop boxes through Medsafe for controlled (narcotics), non-controlled (prescriptions, over-the-counter) and pet medications are located on JBLM at Madigan, McChord, Winder and Okubo pharmacies and pharmacies at Puyallup and South Sound Medical Homes. You can also use various unwanted medication disposal drop off locations within Pierce County at this link:
Additionally, you can choose the FREE State-wide unwanted medication mail back program which is available online through Medication, Education and Disposal (MED)-project at this link:

Medication and Residential Sharps Disposal (Download PDF)


Dispose of your residential sharps for free at:


Tacoma Landfill
Hazardous Waste Drop-Off Site
3510 South Mullen ST (Tacoma)

Pierce County Transfer Station
17925 Meridian E (Puyallup)

South Prairie Transfer Station
11710 Prairie Ridge DR E (Sumner)

Purdy Transfer Station
14515 54th AVE NW (Gig Harbor)

Key Center Transfer Station
5900 Key Peninsula North (Lakebay)

If you are unable to transport your sharps, you may place containers that are marked,
closed and sealed in your regular trash can.
DO NOT bring your SHARPS back to Madigan.
Need to Update Your Information in DEERS? Click Here